Highland Park’s McGregor Library opened in 1926 and stood for nearly 80 years. The beaux-arts styled library quickly became a gathering place for the rapidly growing (thanks to Ford) community of Highland Park. It was closed in 2002 as the city continued to struggle financially.
In 2006, Highland Park received a $25 million state grant as part of the Cities of Promise initiative. They have already used a portion of the grant to reopen the Ernest T. Ford Field House and has been working to reopen the shuttered library.
The library is listed on the State Register of Historic Places and the Michigan Historical Center is actively involved with this project.
Highland Parks plans to reopen the library in 2009.