Building InformationStreet Address: 80 East Jefferson
Year Built: 1955
Architect: Odell Hewlett Luckenbach
Built as the new home for the Detroit Symphony Orchestra, the Ford Auditorium was placed according to Saarinen’s original Civic Center plan. This very simple structure did little to disguise its primary function. Poor acoustics eventually led to the return of the DSO to their original home at Orchestra Hall in 1989. Sadly, the building has sat vacant ever since and finally demolished in July 2011.