Building InformationStreet Address: 2 Woodward Avenue
Year Built: 1955
Architect: Harley Ellington & Day
Formerly known as the City County Building, it was renamed after the death of the former Detroit Mayor. As a composition, it is very similar to the United Nations Headquarters in New York. The center is comprised of an administration tower, the low 14-story building, and a court tower, the 21-story portion.
The building was part of Eliel and Eero Saarinen’s vision for a Civic Center. Their vision included a naturalistic park, terraced to the river, surrounded by public buildings. Unfortunately, Saarinen’s vision never materialized and the remote location of the City County Building did little to reinforce the development of the Civic Center.