Building InformationStreet Address: 3044 West Grand Boulevard
Year Built: 1923
Architect: Albert Kahn
In 1923, it opened as one of the largest office buildings in the world. Originally, it was known as the General Motors Building since it had housed the company’s world headquarters from 1923 until 1996. In 1996, GM moved its world headquarters to the Renaissance Center and sold the magnificent building which is leased by the State of Michigan on a long term basis. Designed by noted architect Albert Kahn, Cadillac Place consists of four parallel 15-story wings connected together by a central backbone perpendicular to them. Kahn used this design to allow sunlight and natural ventilation to reach each of the building’s hundreds of individual offices. In 2002, the State of Michigan thoroughly renovated the building and renamed it Cadillac Place. It houses State offices for the Detroit area and a State Court of Appeals.