Lafayette Park

Lafayette Park is a residential development consisting of three distinct parts: a high-rise apartment building and townhouses, 13 acres of landscaped area, and twin apartment towers by noted International Style architect Ludwig Mies van der Rohe. The area was...

GM Renaissance Center

Conceived by Henry Ford II and financed primarily by the Ford Motor Company, the Renaissance Center became the world’s largest private development with an anticipated 1971 cost of $500 million. In part, civic leaders intended this ambitious urban renewal project...

Ford / UAW Building

The first building associated with the Civic Center plan features an eagle relief sculpture by Marshall Fredericks.  The building was renovated in...

Ford Building

When it was built in 1909, the Ford Building was the tallest skyscraper in Detroit until 1913.  Unlike Burnham’s previous buildings, it was constructed with a steel frame instead of thick masonry.  The exterior was clad in white terra cotta that was crisply detailed...

MGM Grand Casino

Construction started on MGM’s permanent gambling facility in 2006 and was completed in 2007.  The 17 story building incorporates a larger gambling space and added much needed hotel rooms to downtown...

Old Mariner’s Church

The oldest surviving stone church in Detroit originally stood at the end of Woodward Avenue, but it was moved in 1955 as part of the Civic Center (Hart Plaza)...

Guardian Building

The Guardian Building, a National Historic Landmark, is a skyscraper in downtown Detroit, Michigan. Built in 1928 and finished in 1929, the building (originally called the Union Trust Building) is a bold example of Art Deco architecture, including some art moderne...

Dime Building

Originally known as the Dime Savings Bank Building, this building is one of three remaining buildings designed by one the most celebrated architects at the...

David Stott Building

Located at the corner of Griswold and State Street, this building incorporates brick, marble (on the first three floors from the street), and limestone as its surface materials. As with many of the other Detroit buildings of the era it contains architectural sculpture...

Park Avenue House

The Park Avenue House (formerly called the Royal Palms Hotel) is one of three hotels that Louis Kamper designed for what was once the heart of Detroit’s hotel district.  Kamper also designed the Eddystone Hotel and the Park Avenue Hotel.  The Park Avenue House is 13...

One Woodward Avenue

Formerly known as the Michigan Consolidated Gas Company, this modern building draws upon similar work by Mies van der Rohe who also influenced 211 West Fort Street. The lightness of the structure is emphasized by the three-story lobby. One Woodward Detroit is known...

Westin Book Cadillac

At one time, this Louis Kamper masterpiece was the tallest building in Detroit and the tallest hotel in the world.  The hotel changed hands many times since the Great Depression and finally ended up closed and abandoned.   Local developers stepped up in 2005 to...

Cranbrook

The Cranbrook Educational Community, a unique 300 acre campus begun in the 1930s, was envisioned as an artistic community that would help students insert the fundamentals of good design back into everyday life. Cranbrook developed out of a collaboration between...

Comerica Tower

Formerly known as the One Detroit Center, the Comerica Tower was the last great skyscraper built in Detroit. While some have branded it postmodern, it is more appropriately identified as historicist with gothic inspired detailing and extensive use of granite.  Almost...

Cadillac Place

In 1923, it opened as one of the largest office buildings in the world. Originally, it was known as the General Motors Building since it had housed the company’s world headquarters from 1923 until 1996. In 1996, GM moved its world headquarters to the Renaissance...

Buhl Building

The Buhl Building was Detroit’s first skyscraper and was the first of many prominent buildings designed by Wirt Rowland during his tenure at Smith, Hinchman & Grylls.  The architectural sculpture on the building was designed by Corrado Parducci.

Chase Tower

Like most bank buildings, the currently named Chase Tower has also been known as the The National Bank of Detroit and Bank One Building. The building occupies to former site of the oddly shaped ten-story Hammond Building, which was the first skyscraper in Detroit to...

211 West Fort Street

This Detroit skyscraper is a fairly typical example of the International Style that was made popular at the time by Ludwig Mies van der Rohe’s Seagram Building in New York City (1958). 211 West Fort Street exhibits the same rigorous rhythm of exterior windows and...

150 West Jefferson

150 West Jefferson, formerly known as the Madden Building, sits on the former site of the Detroit Stock Exchange. Some of the facade of the old building was preserved and was used in the interior and exterior decoration of this building.   It was the first tower to...

1001 Woodward Avenue

1001 Woodward, also known as First Federal Bank Building, is a mixed-use 25-story granite-clad skyscraper on the corner of Michigan and Woodward Avenue anchoring the Campus Martius District. The building was renovated starting in 1998 to support Class “A”...